ES in Business Session program
Ecosystem Service Research Application in Corporate Action: Increasing Impact, Unlocking Opportunity and Driving Innovation via the ESP Business Track
Three distinct business sessions will be organised during the day. Several business representatives will share their ecosystem services experiences from the perspective of their corporate practices, with the objective of stimulating the academic community to better understand what ecosystem services means to private sector stakeholders and how they can be part of the ongoing drive to incorporate the concept into corporate action.
ES in Business Session program
The program of the business sessions is as follows, the program might be subject to change still:
10:30-12:00 ES in Finance Session (Session S6a)
Session host: Caroline van Leenders (The Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO), The Netherlands)
Co-hosts: Inge Liekens (VITO, Belgium), Matt Smith (JNCC, United Kingdom), Martine van Weelden (ESP, The Netherlands)
In this session several speakers from the industry will share how they incorporate ES and Natural Capital in finance. A more detailed session program will follow soon.
- Katie Leach, Senior program officer, UNEP, presentation of ENCORE tool;
- Roel Nozeman, Senior Advisor Biodiversity, ASN bank, The Netherlands;
- Danijela Piljic, Strategy Advisor, DNB (DeNederlandscheBank), The Netherlands.
13:30-15:00 ES in Business Session focused on the industry sector at large (Session S6b)
Session host: Inge Liekens (VITO, Belgium)
Co-hosts: Matt Smith (JNCC, United Kingdom), Martine van Weelden (ESP, The Netherlands)
In this session several speakers from the industry will share how they incorporate ES and Natural Capital in their business operations. A more detailed session program will follow soon.
- Johannes Knubben, Chief Agrarmanagement, HIPP;
- Inez Goris, Environmental Affairs Manager, Sibelco Europe, 'Ecosystem services and the exploitation of quarries';
- Carolyn Jewell, Senior Manager Environmental Sustainability, Heidelberg Cement, Quarry life award;
- Pilar Gegúndez, Director of Environment and Resources Sustainability, LafargeHolcim and Jesús Carrasco, Project Manager, Ecoacsa, Spain.
16:30-18:00 Designing The ESP Roadmap for Business Engagement (Session S6c)
Session host: Matt Smith (JNCC, United Kingdom), Martine van Weelden (ESP, The Netherlands)
Co-hosts: Inge Liekens (VITO, Belgium), Caroline van Leenders (The Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO), The Netherlands)
Together with the speakers of the Business day and the audience a cross-sector ESP Roadmap for Business Engagement will be set up in order to sustain, improve and intensify science-business collaboration.
- How the ESP is advancing Ecosystem Services in Business (SWG6), Martine van Weelden, ESP Project & Business Development Manager,
- Ecosystem Evidence and Cross-Sectoral Collaboration, Matt Smith, Ecosystems and Natural Capital Manager, Joint Nature Conservation Committee;
- A view from Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, PBL.
- A Forestry perspective, Forestry Stewardship Council (FSC).
- Round table discussion, cross-sectoral views to scope the ESP Roadmap for Business Engagement. Moderated by Matt Smith, JNCC.
- Wrap-up of session and final comments, Martine van Weelden and Matt Smith.
All the above sessions are open to any delegate interested in science-business collaboration and the implementation of Ecosystem Services and Natural Capital within businesses. However, the speakers will be invited on a personal note.
Objectives business sessions
The objectives of these sessions are:
- Showcase business cases which relate to natural capital and ecosystem services, and understand how the private sector are considering and implementing ecosystem services concept and identify challenges of implementation and barriers to uptake of the concept (to be presented by business representatives);
- Showcase projects of researchers who have been partnering with the private sector;
- Contribute thinking to solutions to overcome the identified challenges businesses encounter to uptake and implement the concepts;
- Discuss and develop ideas on how to scale up science-business collaboration by identifying the types of projects and knowledge provision that helps to unlock opportunities and drive innovation; and
- Discuss how the ESP community would like to shape the business track and future role of Sectoral Working Group 6: Ecosystem Services in Business for the benefit of researchers and the private sector users of knowledge.
The business day is supported by:
ESP10Registration website for ESP10
aanmelder.nlaanmelder.nlPhoenixstraat 28b 2611AL Delft Netherlands